Flashing Handbrake light???

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Critical_Mass
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 1.9S TDI SW

Flashing Handbrake light???

Post by Critical_Mass »

HI all,

So my airbag light has been on a while and since finding out the wiring inside the slip ring was buggered, i thought id change it. Got a second hand one off ebay for £45, same part number, though some of the other numbers on the part are different to my original - not sure if that matters, but thought it was worth mentioning.

So changed it over today, ensuring the slip ring was central - 2 turns either side. Still got the airbag light on, but now also the ABS and ESP lights are on. i believe this is due to the new part needing to be adapted.. can someone tell me how to do this?

However, weirdly i thought id leave the above for now and went for a drive. After about 10 metres if that, the handbrake light just flashes continuously. Until you turn engine off and and back, then if you move 10 metres again it comes back on. Fluid is fine. Scanned it and it came up with Front Left abs sensor - now, is this just pure coincidence that i changed the slip ring and suddenly im getting a ABS sensor fault????

I cleared the fault and drove again, again the handbrake light flashed but when i scanned the ABS Brake module again, no front left ABS fault is present, only the steering angle sensor due to me changing the slip ring.

ANy help would be appreciated as its a bit coincidental if it is just a genuine front left ABS sensor.

ALso the slip ring i bought off ebay came with the sensor attached (squarish bit the donut ring attaches to. Am i able to put the new slip ring onto my existing angle sensor? or are they one part? i know there are screws, but do not want to take the slip ring apart in fear of all the wirin falling out.
KGB B5 1.9 TDI SE[/color - RIP 23/11/2012
B5.5 1.9 S 130 TDI SW- 24/11/2012 >>>> SOLD 01/05/2018

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login