PD130 Vac Leak

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

Oliefromwolves
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

PD130 Vac Leak

Post by Oliefromwolves »

Hello!

First post, just bought a passat TDI as a runaround due to my 540 being constantly vandalised.

I'm going to slap my splits on it, here's a picture from when I test fitted them to break the ice haha

I've done loads of research the last few days, but I'm stuck so decided to post a thread. For the sake of this we'll use computer MPG's, I know it isn't accurate, but it still serves a purpose.

Basically, I picked up my Passat PD130 the other day, got an indicated 64mpg, very impressed!

Drove it to work, 55mpg, very impressed.

Drove home (no traffic as I work nights) 62mpg, very impressed.

Now, I've only owned the car a week, but almost over night I am now struggling to get 40mpg coming to work, and 50mpg coming home,

It seems the slightest touch of acceleration has my MPG dropping.

I did some reading and I found a good explanation of the vacuum system on these engines, I saw something that said pull the vac hose off the actuator, and if you can blow down it, you have a vac leak... I did this quick test and I can indeed blow down that vac pipe.

The car seems very sluggish off boost, and seems to spool much later than it did when I first got it, between 1500rpm and 2000rpm.. I suspect this is the cause of the MPG decrease.

I can hear a sort of vacuum leak noise coming from the airbox/turbo/EGR valve sort of area, but all the pipes I can find seem secure.

Anybody have any ideas?

How long does it take to replace the vacuum hoses?

The car has to do a long road trip with 5 friends tomorrow, so I'd preferably like my MPG back before I go haha!!

Sorry for the long post,

Cheers

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login