Intercooler perished! HELP!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

pascalbrown
B2

Intercooler perished! HELP!

Post by pascalbrown »

I was driving yesterday when I first started noticing what seemed like a misfire. At some points throughout the rev range it would stutter. Along with this, fuel economy had plummeted. Driving VERY sensibly resulted in average of 40mpg instead of 60! I had a quick look in various forums and decided it was probably the MAF sensor. I had to drive to Sheffield lastnight and during the drive things worsened considerably. I had absolutely no power above 2000 revs. When accelerating up to 2000 revs if I floored it I just saw a lot of black smoke, so I knew something was amiss. I stopped in at VW in Chesterfield and asked them to hook it up to have a look at the error codes. They came up with 2. THe temperature sensor and the boost control sensor. He reset them, but then had another look at the car on the ramp and said the intercooler was knackered. I have to agree since you can hear it blowing when driving! I nursed the car to Sheffield and then back to Derby but now I have a real dilemma. VW said they could have done it today but wanted £400! :shock: The next problem is that I really need this doing ASAP because I am supposed to be leaving for Belgium on Monday, in my car!

So I have a few questions. Has anyone replaced their intercooler? (this is assuming I can get parts). Was it a difficult job? I don't have a ramp at home so can't get under the car easily which I'm assuming is going to make this job nigh on impossible. Also, does anyone have a part number so I can ring vagparts because I really can't afford the prices VW are charging. However, I did think that this might be the time to fit a FMIC (and it would seem Banny is still selling one!) but I would need to get it have fit it before monday. If anyone knows any mechanics/workshops in the midlands that are cheap, reliable, friendly, and could do it tomorrow then let me know!

Thanks a lot. (sorry for the long post).
03 Tdi Sport 130 ESTATE, remapped (celtic tuning), W8 interior light, other upgrades to come!

02 TDI Sport 130. Remapped (custom code), EBC Discs and Greenstuff Pads, Audi S6 Recaro Seats (SOLD),

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login