Strange Noises

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

SimonB

Strange Noises

Post by SimonB »

Hi,

I have a '97 Passat TDI which has recently developed a slightly worrying "grinding" noise when being driven at slow speeds. It is noticable more at take off and stopping the car. also when the car is stopping, i get a louder clink from what sounds to be the brakes.

All 4 brake disks and sets of pads were changed recently but did not solve the issue, and i took the step of putting the car in a garage, who looked and said they had tightened one of the mounts, but that it was worn and will need replacing soon. A few days after having the work done (luckily for free) the clunk and grinding noises are back.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? looking through this forum and passatworld, i gather it could be any of wishbone bushes, cv joints, engine mounts (although the gear lever doesn't move like i would expect it to if it was the engine mounts), caliper mounts etc..

Unfortunately my mechanical skills currently stretch to a service and not much further, so any more detail / tiips where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Simon