TDi wont start

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

smilie121
B5
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

TDi wont start

Post by smilie121 »

(This is a friends car - my old car)

It is a 2005 1.9 AWX TDi. It cranks but doesn't fire.

When the ignition is on the glow plug light does not come on, not even for half a second. All other lights appear and start to disappear but the ABS and ESP lights come back on. My friend says this happened several times end of last and beginning of this year. He learned if the glow plug light didn't come on it would not start and he would leave it 30 mins or more - assuming it was cooling down. The fault seemed to go away but it developed (i think) a new fault which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97382

Basically the car stalled twice maybe 3 times whilst driving. It went in for MOT and needed £490 worth of work inc MOT (suspension, brakes all round, lights, 1 tyre) and he drove it less than a mile from the garage and it died at Lidl. Can't get it going at all.

A bit of googling suggests it could be the 53 12v 40a Relay under the steering wheel or dirty ECU contacts / failing ECU

Any help much appreciated

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login