Odd turbo whistle

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ryan1396
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5 AWX

Odd turbo whistle

Post by ryan1396 »

Hi all, long time lurker on here, first time poster. Car in question is a 2002 AVB (100bhp)
During lockdown I stripped the turbo apart as it had some limp mode issues. Sure enough the VNT mechanism was badly coked up. There wasn't an awful lot of play in the turbo shaft. Also cleaned out the inlet and EGR when I had them removed.
All was good but this past week the turbo has started whistling, but only when the EGR is shut. When the car is started from cold there is no whistle at all (ie when the EGR is open)
I pulled the EGR off today and all gaskets were fine and the valve is holding vacuum ok. No leaks noticed around any of the gaskets either. I was thinking the pipe could have developed a leak and that's what was causing the whistle

Am stumped as to why it's only whistling when the EGR is actually shut. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login