Power steering full lock noise??

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

K2edg
B1
Passat model: B5 TDI

Power steering full lock noise??

Post by K2edg »

Hi all.

With having a bit of downtime at the moment i've been fixing all the things that have been on my "To do list" for a while on my 99 B5 Tdi...... one of the things i noticed when i first bought the car was a loud squealing noise when the steering was held against the full lock (sounds a bit like a slipping belt with low oil in the PS noise combined)

Thinking back i fitted a new tensioner, flushed the oil and fitted a new Gates belt which fixed it for a time but not for very long, the PS works fine as long as you don't turn the steering full lock either way. My long term fix was to just not hold it against the full lock stop :D

I'm thinking of replacing the PS pump as they aren't expencive but before i do that i thought i'd ask if there was a commonly known issue because even though the noise sounds like it's coming from the pump area it's silent 99% of the time (doesn't make the usual whining noise you'd expect with a failing ps pump when low-speed maneuvering)

Anyway, let me know what you think........

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login