Alarm Woes

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

jerryfudd
B1
Passat model: 2004 B5.5 Estate

Alarm Woes

Post by jerryfudd »

Hi,

I've got a Estate 2004 B5.5 with some alarm issues, it all started that on occasion we'd unlock the car and upon entering and turning on the ignition it would report the boot was ajar, and indeed it was - almost like unlocking had also released the boot as we were positive that it was correctly shut prior to locking.

That issue has since stopped but what has followed is that when we lock the car the alarm will sound, sometimes a few seconds later ranging to a couple of hours but its getting more and more consistent to the point I had to disconnect the battery last night and manually lock the boot and all doors.

Before I get into it I have checked the CCM and passenger floor for wetness but all bone dry and when I first got the car maybe 2 years ago now I made sure that all the common places for water ingress like bonnet release and front windows were all water tight aswell as resealing down and replacing where necessary the ECU box and cabin filter housing. Also cleaned out the sunroom drains.

Anyways, I'd read something about the rear washer hose breaking down and getting the boot release electronics wet but I managed to pull the rear boot liner down enough to verify this wasn't the case as it was all bone dry and I had my wife activate the rear washer while checking for drips but nothing. I couldn't work out how to release the poppers closest to the glass so was just feeling the inside and checking with a torch. Aswell as disconnecting a few electrical connectors and checking for corrosion but all good. I then disconnected the drivers side boot release switch thinking it could be that aswell as removing the battery from the fob and using the backup fob with a new battery but still happening.

One thing through searching is that I'd read that the siren has a backup battery can stop charging and this can cause the alarm to sound, will this backup battery only keep the siren on once triggered or still go off if there is an issue? as disconnecting the battery keeps the whole car silent so maybe that battery is duff?

Anyway, any help or pointers gratefully received - bar the alarm issues the car is fine and to be quiet honest the time of it this particular B5.5 being a desirable car for stealing has long since passed so if there is a way to permanently disable the entire system that would be a way I'm definitely willing to go (and yes no alarm/immobiliser would be declared if I did so).

Dan

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login