B5 1.9tdi - alternator failure??

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

B5 1.9tdi - alternator failure??

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Hello all.

Went out in the Passat yesterday and noticed the battery light stayed on all the time. Got home and checked the battery with a multimeter. Only showing 11.96 volts. I then ran the engine and checked again. No difference. I assume the alternator has stopped charging, maybe completely worn brushes?

I have looked online and in the Haynes manual and it seems changing the alternator on the AFN engined cars is a bit of a ballache. Hayne says that the auxillar belt has to come off with front end in service position?

I watched a video on youtube of someone just removing the fan pulley and loosening the belt with the tensioner and then swapping over the alternator. Stll looks an awkward job? The fan pulley has to be removed out of the way to allow the long alternator bolt to have space to be removed.

So my questions are:-

1.) Can I just buy new brushes/voltage regulator for my Valeo alternator. It is the 120 amp 14 volt type. Part number is 028 903 029 E

2.) Can the brushes/voltage regulator be changed witht he alternator in situ?

3.) Is it best to just get a new alternator, mileage is 190k.

4.) What would you expect a garage to charge for the job?

Hope someone can help/advise?

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login