URGENT!! Rear brake adjustment

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

URGENT!! Rear brake adjustment

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Hello All.

I need urgent advice on rear brake adjustment on our 1999 B5 Passat wagon. The rear pads were getting really low so I ordered new Bilstein Febi Pads from Autodoc online. Should have got discs as well but they looked okay.

Fitted the pads with no problems apart from having to free up one caliper slider and grease it up.

Looked in the Haynes manual to see about handbrake adjustment and it looked really confusing and drawn out. Having to remove parts of the console. WTF were VW thinking? It's a five minute job on my T4!

Anyway drove the car and could hear a light scraping noise where the rear discs were rubbing about the new much thicker pads. Jacked up the rear and checked to see if the wheels would rotate okay with the handbrake off. They will easily rotate by hand but there is slight contact with the old discs. I realise now I should have probably replaced the discs as well!!

Anyway I have spent all morning messing about under the car trying to make sure the handbrake adjustment is okay?

All seems okay. Nice strong handbrake and wheels spin okay with handbrake off.

Even with the caliper handbrake arms right on the stops there is still slight contact between the new pads and discs, enough to make a scraping sound?

I am worried about driving the car because the discs and calipers and the alloys seem to be getting quite warm. I don't think it is a sticking piston as the rubbers are in good order and they wound back in easily?

Any thought folks?

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login