1BA to Eibach Pro-Kit conversion / suspension overhaul

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VAG2020
Passat model: B5.5 AVF (150HP)

1BA to Eibach Pro-Kit conversion / suspension overhaul

Post by VAG2020 »

My 2003 FWD Highline 6-speed Wagon (AVF) is still on the original Suspension.

Control arms, tie rods, springs, shocks ... the whole lot is still original. Only thing that has been replaced on the front axle is one wheel bearing and the outer CV joints.
The car only has 138k miles, but it was parked outside from day 1 (we got it new).
Currently it rides like absolute garbage. Lots of body roll, and going over small bumps makes a total racket. The only thing that still feels tolerable is driving perfectly smooth roads. The shocks are not leaking and I guess they pass the "bounce test" but they feel shot. I'm too young to remember what the ride was like when the car was new but I'd like to get it decent again. We don't have any salt on the roads here in southern Italy, so I feel like keeping the car longer and updating the suspension would be worth while. The car has zero rust.

Control arms are starting to crack:

After lurking around a fair bit here I've decided the Eibach Pro-Kit and Bilstein B4 dampers are the way to go...

Because i'm currently on 1BA suspension, im guessing that I can just get the Bilstein B4 socks (with sport rears) and nothing else is needed...?

These are the parts I think I need:

Front Shock: 19-119939 (1BE & 1BA)
Rear Shock: 19-140049 (1BE Version)
Springs: E10-85-002-09-22 (Front 1175kg / Rear 1200kg)
Front Sway Bar: (Currently going to keep it as the Hollow 1BA one).... do you think the solid 1BE one will make much difference?

I'm also planning to replace all the rubber components (top mounts, bump stops, spring plates, ARB bushings) and choosing 1BE specific parts when possible (for example 1BE bump stops).

Is it worth getting new rear axle bushings and subframe bushings too? Or do those not wear out as quickly?
Also I've read that using the RS4 Outer tie rods give better steering feel and don't wear out as much? Is this something worth getting in addition to a control arm kit?

For Control Arms I've had a tough time choosing. I was going to go for MeyleHD, but after seeing these videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3z6j9nQxbU& https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_nFx4R4_AI'm not convinced anymore. I browsed some Polish passat forums (they have lots of B5's over there), and apparently the SKV control arms are good and inexpensive - made in Poland (which could or could not be better than made in China... we will never know because it's the factory that matters at the end of the day).
Here's a link to these SKVs controls arms:
https://skv.pl/en/Parts/04SKV115/?manuf ... sion%20Kit
Has anyone heard of these? Or will I be the first here to try them out?

Also is the 30mm drop going to be a problem in regards to scraping the bottom of the car? There are definitely times where I look at the car and think if it gets lower im going to start scraping things on uneven ground...

I know I need to find some wheel emblems again, looks horrible like this :cry:

Any advice from people who've done a similar swap would be much appreciated!

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login