Cloudy Headlights?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

Cloudy Headlights?

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Hi folks when we moved to France in 2014 we replaced the original headlights on our 1999 Passat Wagon with new Hella left hand drive headlights.

I have noticed recently that the plastic lens have gone quite cloudy. Bit pee'd off really as the lights are only 7 or so years old..I guess the fierce sun here in summer doesn't help.

Main beam is not too bad, but driving at night on tiny and winding mountain roads on dipped beam is rather challenging.

What is the best method for reviving the lenses? Is it best to get new headlamps? Prefer to repair these?

Can I upgrade the dipped beam bulbs to a higher wattage for more light? I think the ones in there are 55 watt?

Interesting that the headlamps on my 1998 T4 Transporter are perfectly fine because they are made from glass..I wonder why car manufacturers went over to shitty plastic lenses? Especially when they don't last the life of the vehicle?

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login