Foul Smelling Exhaust

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

NorfolkJim
still on the production line
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 Est

Foul Smelling Exhaust

Post by NorfolkJim »

Hi Guys I hope you can help.

I have an Aug 2007 B6 Sport 170TDi estate which has done 129k but with full history.

Before I got the car the previous owner had a new EGR fitted but when I'd driven it a few times it had hesitation and foul smell coming through vents. I took it to a tuner I knew who'd worked on a Saab I'd had. He specializes in VW and Audi tuning and used to run SupaNova Tuning in Norfolk.

I know these cars have DPF issues so he perforated the DPF (leaving on car for MOT's) and also blanked off EGR and did EGR delete.

I get a small amount of smoke when starting and under hard acceleration but the car runs really well and has 200 hp now. My problem is with the acrid smell coming from the exhaust. We traced the smell in the cabin to being a leaking exhaust manifold gasket which was replaced and the cabin smell disappeared unless car was stationary and wind was blowing from the back.

It doesn't matter whether it is a cold or warm engine but the smell coming out of the exhaust is very acrid and un-bearable and is instant the minute you start the car. I can pull into my drive park up and switch off immediately and the smell is already there with comments from my wife everytime and friends. We've plugged it into VCDS (or whatever its called) and the chap can't find anything wrong so what on earth is causing this horrible smell.

Would an oil change help (only done 1k ago using genuine castrol longlife 3) - Shell V power has ben through it once and made no difference.

Apart from this the car is brilliant - just this foul smell.......yuk

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login